Sunday 4 September 2011

Hennebont Langroix: a sign from above?

September...yes end of summer, strange as summers been a bit on and off this year.

I think this season I have had all sorts of weather from at me, from a very wet Febuary/March, a being hot April and May, then a very unstable June/July and August. What therefore will the final month, September, hold?

Hopefully sun, warm temperatures and little wind! Its that point in the season where the slightest mention of rain can send an already tired and fragile mind into complete melt down.

Luckily then I awoke to sunny skies and warm temperatures, lots of wind though! Race was a mere 2km from my door today (ultra local race) and was the third and final race in my home town of Hennebont. The first being the savage cobbled crit, where I made an appearance on the podium, second being GP Hennebont and this being the third.

Wish all racing could be so local!

So after over 50 races I have all the pre race stuff down to a fine tee. Leaving me ready to leave at 12:45pm for the 10 min ride to the start. All downhill as well!

Arriving and my race was to be the support race for The Tour Of Morbihan Junior race. An Elite National junior event, with international teams as well.

So as you can imagine there was a lot of banners, a massive podium and lots of riders. Signed on I headed to find a suitable bench to sit and pin number on and then headed off for a warm up. I knew the circuit like the back of my hand, as often ride up the hill in training, and had been training round it on Thursday.

A 4.5km loop made up of a kilometres climb, with sections over 7%, a very windy false flat, a right onto main road before a windy descent, another right, a very slight drag and then a fast descent to the finish. 18 laps to do. So not a long race but with 18 times up the hill it was sure to be a hard one.

The Junior race was to set off an hour later than ours and used the 4.5km circuit as a finishing loop. We though were all lined up and ready to go at 2pm.

Around 50 riders. Lots of the normal guys, including National Masters Champion. Just myself and team mate Samuel for this one. Away we went and an attack from the gun. With AC Lanester rider getting a gap. Straight onto hill and it all started kicking off.

I never like jumping about on a climb and knew I needed to ride climb at my own pace. Surprisingly that was quicker than a lot of the bunch. Another lap done. All together...for now.

With these local races I always struggle with the change of pace. Sounds strange but find it easier if the race is just lined out and full on all the time! So coming over the hill for the second time, the bunch sat up. I knew this was not good for me and so attacked.

I got a big gap straight away as riders were recovering from the climb. Soon joined by another rider and we were away with the bunch now out of sight. Two laps into an 18 lap race and I was committing myself. To early?

I was going on the principle of keep it hard throughout and then wont have to react to changes of pace. The rider I was with clearly had the same idea as he was hacking! He was a man on a mission and wasn't even calling me through to take a turn. We were flying along and with him quite happy to do all the work I made the most of a free ride.



A couple more laps, a prime and a group of 8 or so were coming across. A rider jumped them and bridged to us. That's where it started going wrong.

Onto the climb and on previous ascensions had been riding it big ring. Yet for some reason decided to little ring it. Not a good idea. Big ring is definitely better! The rider who had bridged to us was flying up the climb. I was not!

Just hung on over the top as the chase group made the junction. All the race favourites, it was looking good.

Yet coming onto the climb again and the bunch were back up to us. Although now the bunch was half the original size.

Attacks began as we crested the top and I basically didnt react. Whether it be legs, head, I do not know I had no fire in either.

Soon a sizeable dozen riders were off the front. This was bad news. Onto the climb again, big ring and try and get across. The gap was within touching distance yet legs wouldn't commit and the riders I were with were knackered. I seemed to close the gap on the climb only to lose it again on the false flat. Very frustrating.

Lap after lap and the break was a mere 100 metres, if that, in front, yet only myself and a couple of others seemed able to chase. The group I was in was now a mere half a dozen riders.

3 laps to go and we were starting to close on the break. I was feeling powerless and frustrated it had taken this long to close the gap. Then it happened. Down the descent and changing gear, cable snapped. I was stuck in the 23...I tried to get it working but no luck. Race over.

Only 3rd mechanical of the year and only 6th DNF, I think. So statistically had been doing well, still rubbish when it happens though.

Even more annoying was a lap later and the group I was in had made the junction to the break.

I was pretty annoyed. A lot of work in the group for nothing. Yes legs were terrible but a race is not over till you cross the line, and a lap or two later they may have come round.

Only consolation was I picked up a prime from my earlier breakaway. 15 Euros...will pay for a new cable at least!

So not a good days racing. Possibly a sign my season is nearly over. Legs feel numb and powerless all the time and head just doesn't feel like there's a huge amount of fight left after 7 hard months of racing.

Plan is to try and get bike fixed tomorrow. Need to find a bike shop which is open on a Monday, as all local ones seem to be shut! Then will decide after Elite National race on Tuesday whether to continue my season or call it a day for this year.

Annoying as I still want to race, but legs don't seem to want to, and don't wanna just be making up numbers or be suffering with little reward. So not a very positive end to my blog.

Just need to remember how lucky I am to have this opportunity to race in France and with all the support I've had. So to reflect on the brilliant experience so far  and make the most of last few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment