Monday 19 September 2011

Final chapter

There you have it. 8 months, 78 blog posts, 56 races, 60 individual stages. Lots of highs and thankfully not to many lows. Its been a once in a lifetime experience and in this, the final blog, I will try and dissect the 2011 French experience.

Rather than ramble on aimlessly I am going to condense it into a number of sections before giving my "Oscarlikespeach" conclusion.


The Accommodation

From living with an English family, in the sleepy village of Pont Augan for the first few months, to staying with team mate and family, slightly closer to civilization and a shop in Languidic for the month of May. To finally ending up here in Hennebont, renting a room from a French woman. Its been quite a journey.

The Food

Fully emersed myself this season in the Bretonne way of eating. From the amazing Far Breton cakes to mouth watering crepes, Ive had it all. The great meals prepared by The Jego family and the fresh, homegrown fruit and veg Ive sampled at the house in Hennebont. Its been a gastromic whirlwind. So many firsts, so many different cultural habits as well, and so much good fresh bread and cheese!

The lifestyle

It wouldnt suit everyone and yes it did take a bit of getting used to. But now settled in and looking back, have loved the more laidback, friendly way of life here. The pleasure before work attitude and the warmth and welcoming Breton way. Ive been to everything from fetes, musical concerts, barbeques and meals at some great restaurants. On rest days have visited picture postcard beaches and sat by the river Blavet winding away the hours reading. Of course it is worlds away from my life in London and is a much quieter existence but also a much less hectic one. Rest days can be slower here but at least means you do just that..rest!

The language

Other than the racing, probably the next most challenging element! A very enjoyable one all the same. Again lots of help from team mates, Sebastien and family and Marie Noel. Oh and also a very good dictionary. Watching French TV and reading magazines and newspapers in French have also brought my language skills on a lot. I am quite proud of myself and think its a good skill to have, just need to make sure I keep practising it and improving on it.


The training

A big thanks to Garmin at this point! With so many roads and so many directions to ride in the first few months was very relieved to have my Garmin GPS to get me back on track. Still did end up in a few farmers fields though! The roads here are amazing. From 2-3km climbs to riding along the beach, it has it all. Also with few cars and good road surfaces its a real stress free way to train.

 Now for the only downside. The group rides, or lack of them! Only once a week, unfortunately just not a big group of riders in the area to train with, which is a shame. Still some of the best rides Ive done out here have been with my team mate Seb and Laurent, as they have shown their local knowledge and taken me on some really great routes. I have had to change training since coming here mainly due to amount and style of racing. Less miles, more intensity, more rest and basically more French less mile munching Anglais!

I still think I prefer training in the UK mainly due to the standard and number of group rides I can get out on. Although over here having numerous directions I can head out on the bike on is a real luxury and something I will really miss, along with the very few cars!

The racing

Its been quite a year. Ive never raced so much, at such a high level, started my season so early and felt quite this tired by the end! It all began with a 9th place at my first race, in an Interclub in Camors, way back on 20th Feburary.

 Since then I have done everything from Elite Nationals, stage races, crits and semi nocturnes. I had a hard start getting used to the style of the racing and with the March weather not helping matters either. The first few months were hard. Big Elite National races, bad weather and that coupled with a whole new lifestyle, language and a niggling injury meant they were not as fruitful as I'd hoped. The change came when moving in with my team mate in May.

Began training differently, eating more, my French improved and I began understanding the racing more. I felt more at home and relaxed. A good May, June and July with a number of top 10s and 15s and the much needed podium place as well. The only downside was I was going well in the part of the season when races became much shorter, more kermesse like, which dont suit me so much and of course I didn't manage that all important win.

Still confidence was high and after a midseason break came into last few months of racing. Steady rather than spectacular but learning all the time and getting better with each race. September and body started to show signs of the 56 races. Wanted to get to the big 60 but head and body was giving up on me unfortunately. Season over.

Looking back and if I get the opportunity to do it again. I would target early season, where the races are longer and the end of the season. Also probably some time back in England mid season (for a week or so) would probably give me a mental break from racing as well. Training differently, as my team mates keep reminding me, will also have made my results all the better and enabled me to reach my full potential in races. Just hope I get the opportunity to learn from this season and do it the right way in the future.

What racing though. Closed roads and amazing circuits. Favourite races have got to be Manche Atlantique (for the huge crowds and brutal finishing circuits) Tour des Mauges again great stages and one of the hardest 60km races Ive ever ridden. Of course Sarzeau my 3rd place in what was a semi nocturne and a race I'd thought id never get such a result in.

The Future?

A good question. Ideally I would like to return here to Brittany. I have learnt a huge amount this year and am sure with this year under my belt and more experience, I could get some really good results next season. Funding and financial support will be deciding factor of whether this could be a reality. Fingers crossed.

If not possibly racing in England again. I am not an under 23 next season so will be hard but definitely don't think I've reached my full potential...a lot still to be decided as you can see.


The blog

Over 4000 hits, viewers from all over the world and an in depth diary of my 2011 season. I hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I've enjoyed writing it!



Now for the Oscar like bit....


The thanks

Sam, Sue, Russell and everyone at The John Ibbotson fund: for helping me all year both financially and with all their contacts and advice.

http://www.johnibbotsonfund.com/

Tony, Nick and the Mills family: for driving me to races, finding me a team, providing me with some lovely meals and basically supporting and helping me out all season. I don't know what I would have done without this family!


Sebastien and the Jego family: The kindest and more generous people you could meet. Helped with the language, racing, training, getting me to and from places, and housing me for a month. Cant say how much Ive appreciated them!

Sam Allen: Fellow Brit, a new friend, great to chat with and get advice and support from and always useful when in need of speaking a bit of English!

Yvon, Laurent, Gurvan, Pascal, Rene Yves, Albert and the UCL Hennebont team: The most welcoming group of cyclists Ive ever met. Helped getting me to races, advice, training rides and had some great meals and laughs with them. Not just a team, a group of friends and a family atmosphere.

Marie: My landlady at Hennebont. So welcoming, makes some amazing meals and great to chat to. Has taken me to music festivals, introduced me to Mussels, Far Breton and Breton way of life!

Karen and Ben. The first two people I lived with over here. Helped me settle in and provided some good laughs along the way.

Parents/grandparents/sister: for being understanding and supportive all year.

Andy Lyons. For being a great friend and mentor all season. Always able to pick up the phone to chat to or email for advice. As always a wealth of experience and good advice.

Daniel Lloyd: professional cyclist but always able and willing to give advice and his expertises. A big thanks for his time.

Lynn Clay: for the nutritional advice and guidance. Well worth a look... http://www.fitness-iq.co.uk/


Misty the cat: I've lived with a puppy, two sheep and four cats in my time in France! Misty though was and is a special one! A companion, someone to while away rest days with and a fellow lover of tinned fish! Am definitely a cat person after this season!

Also to anyone else I've forgotten (I'm sure I have) a big thanks.

I hope you've enjoyed reading my blogs and following my season over here.

So there it is, the last blog, thoughts and comments much appreciated.

all that leaves me now is to bid you...au revoir!

2 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading your blog Dan. Don't worry too much about funding, I never had any, just worked hard in the winter and negotiated hard with my teams. It's always possible to make ends meet if you put your mind to it.

    Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed it Dan, bonne chance with your future endeavours, whatever they may be!

    ReplyDelete