Tuesday 13 September 2011

Bannalec: dernier course

If you've read my blogs over the last few weeks you would see ive been battling with my legs, head and a lot of very strong French riders! Each blog has been the same. Contemplating when to end the season and how I could reinvigorate legs and body. 

After the dangerous and wasted race at Lorient on Saturday, I said I would decide how Monday's race went and then make a decision whether to end season then and there, or carry it through to end of the month.

Strangely though decision was made on Sunday. This was due to a lot of thought and basically a realisation I was going to end up racing myself into a box if I didn't stop soon!

So going into Mondays race at Bannalec I knew it was to be the last of the 2011 season. What was to happen in the next few hours of racing, was still though undecided...

Trophee Aven Moros. The series which included Tregnuc and Scaer races a couple of weeks ago (see previous blog) was to hold today's race at the sleepy town of Bannalec.

Now when you know its the last race of the season everything you do on race day feels quite a moment. Last time making bottles, last time cleaning bike etc..stupid I know, but quite satisfying after a long season all the same!

12:45pm and picked up by team mate Laurent in the team car. Again, just like when Seb had turned up on Saturday, just as he pulled into the driveway the rain began lashing down. A wet and windy final race? I hoped not.

Laurent was looking equally amused with the "meteo Anglais" and after getting bike and kit in car we were soon on 45 minute drive into Finistere to the race. As we drove the weather began to brighten and arriving at the town the sun began to come out. 

Now the French love getting to a race early but today was a new record. An hour and 40 minutes before. 1st car to turn up. This was shortly followed by Sam Allen, in his team car. So at least I could have a good chat to Sam while waiting for sign on to open!

Signed on and normal procedures done. Bannalec, if you've read earlier blogs, was a town I had raced at earlier in the season. A slightly lower quality race then, with a bigger field, warmer weather, but other than that basically same circuit.

So I knew what was coming up as I headed off for a 20 minute warm up. A fast and open road onto a smaller one with a wet descent through trees. Then a 200 metre climb, a quick drop down, another 200 metre climb, another descent before in and out of houses a bit before a tight right onto the drag to the finish. 7.1km in total, 15 laps.

 3pm and lined up. Only around 50 riders for this one. Probably due to endofseasonitis and the fact it was a Monday afternoon and most people should be at work! This though meant of the 50 there were some very good riders. VCP Lorient (with series leader Zelinski) Hennebont Cyclisme, Saur Sojasun under 23, the Guidon team (all on team issue Times!)UC Briochine, AC Lanester and BIC2000. UCL Hennebont had myself, Laurent, Stephane and Rene.

So away we went and straight away attacks were flying. I wanted to at least give the last race my best shot and followed wheels and attacks. Yet although legs felt alright head just didn't seem to be able to get into it. Its hard to explain but that ability to focus on the wheel in front and suffer after a while becomes harder as the season progresses. I don't know why. Just mentally hard to make yourself suffer after a while. Probably because  after over 50 races having to do this, mind is starting to get a bit fed up with it!

So the break went. I stayed in the top 15/20 riders, yet hitting the climbs round the back for the 2nd lap and I had nothing. No "get up and go". Other groups went and soon I was left in what was now a relatively small peloton.

Onto the finish straight. Rene and a few others attacked. I tried to follow yet couldnt make it and was stuck in no mans land, alone. I could see the group and was only a mere 50 metres if that from getting on. Yet try as I might, maybe mentally more than physically, I couldn't close the gap.

So back to the bunch. Next few laps and we rode steadily through and off. A lot of Leucemie Espoir riders still in the bunch seemed to want to chase. A bit of a waste of effort considering about 20 riders were minutes up the road! 

After an hour and the bunch was starting to split. I could now have thought forget it and called it a day. Yet I was keen to enjoy the last race, even if I was now not racing for a result. 

The problem now was although head was clearly not up for racing, legs were ok and a lot stronger than the riders I was with. Annoying that, as proves I should have been in one of the groups up the road. Still wanted a bit of a hack so went for one and did 4-5kms alone before sitting up and going back to bunch. At least killed a bit of time!

Few laps to go and bunch split. 6 of us getting away including team mate Laurent. Bit of through and off for concluding few laps and even a prime (where a cake was the prize!) was on offer. Not much to say for final lap as we rolled round and headed across the line. I took 27th. Nothing to write home about, but with how tired I've been feeling last couple of weeks just happy to finish.

So that was it. Last race of season done. Bit of relief, a few what ifs and definitely a sense I've had a full season.

I could carry on and try and race last few races, but don't see the point of riding round in the peloton or not being fresh enough to actually be racing for a good result.

Didn't quite get to the 60 races Id planned. 56 done, 58 days racing, 60 individual stages (including split stages in Tro div ster and Tour des Mauges). All starting with a 9th place at my first race, an Interclub, all the way back in mid Feburary, culminating in my last race here mid September.

Will do a follow up blog and summarise my season and my 2011 experience in France, in the next week or so. Stay tuned for that!

Am staying in France for a couple more weeks, so rather than take my end of season break too early, I am going to make the most of the great roads and spend the next two weeks as a cyclotourist, cruising to a different town each week and hopefully finding a few new cafes...all now in little ring of course!







No comments:

Post a Comment