Wednesday 7 September 2011

GP Fougeres Elite National: numbers

If you are reading this blog you most probably have read one of my other blogs over the season. All with the same sort of structure, a bit of background info on the race, the race and a bit of reflection. Well today's blog is different. Just to add a bit of spice to it and to give it another slant Im gonna break this blog up into numbers.

As a cyclist and as a sportsman numbers mean a hell of a lot and are constantly telling us the bare facts about our performances. So here goes...blog number 76!

Race number 54 for me and one of the biggest...

GP Fougeres Elite National

Tuesday 6th September. After my mechanical at Hennebont on Sunday (see previous blog) I spent Monday trying to get bike fixed. Went from thinking it was a mere gear cable snap to ending up being lent a new lever, by Culture Velo bike shop, Lorient, and mine being sent away back to Shimano! The verdict...it was knackered...so a 105 old school lever on one side and new Ultegra lever on the other. Think the cycle fashion police will be on to me!

Still I now had gears and I was saved just in time for Tuesday's race.

8am and awake. An early start today. Pre race meal made night before as well as a post race meal. I was in for a long day! Picked up by Sam in his team car at 9:30am and we were away! Straight away though and problems. The fuel light came on and we had 40km to where we were meeting the van to take us to the race...was gonna be a nerve racking drive. 

Arriving at Locmine. As I was the only UCL Hennebont rider doing this race, I was getting a lift with the Hennebont Cyclisme team in their van. Everything chucked in the van and we were on our way. Mechanic, Sam, his two team mates, a rider from BIC2000 and myself. 

A bit of a way to today's race a couple of hours. Other side of Rennes. Still we arrived with plenty of time at the medieval town of Fougeres. Straight away I could see this was a big deal. All the DN1 teams parked up with vans, lorries, marquees and team cars. The town was also in full race mode. Crowds already building, a massive podium presentation and just a lot of hubbub.

Signed on, number 104. Around 150 starters for this race. 

This being an Elite National event meant all the top teams were present. Veranda Sarthe, BIC2000, UC Nantes, Cotes D'armor, Saur Sojasun, BIG Mat, Roubaix Lille Metropole, Vendee U. To put it bluntly there wasnt really a weak team in sight!



The wind was howling though, 90km/h I was told. This meant it was pretty cold and a good warm up was in order.

Warming up I was quite apprehensive. This was my first Elite National road race for months, the longest race I've done since March and in previous races had started to feel quite tired. This was gonna go one of two ways!

Lined up 1:30pm start. In the centre of Fougeres. The crowds were huge and could hardly make my way through them to line up. Still away we went for the 59th GP Fougeres. The race was made up of 2x33km loops and then a 9.5km finishing loop to be done 8 times. 140 km in total.

After stopping and starting a number of times ( lots of stopping and starting bike computer) we were finally waved away for the official start, a few kilometres out of town.



The pace was on and the wind was howling. I knew with the winds and open roads it was a case of hiding and waiting for the finishing circuit, which I was told had a 500 metre, 12 % hill in it!

To be honest I didnt have much of an option than to hide. Legs and body felt rough and I was only half an hour into the race. Eating and drinking I made sure I hung on the wheel and stayed as far to the front as possible. Easier said than done!

Coming round for the 1st of  2 big loops things were already breaking up as bunch split in two as we hit the 12% climb. I was feeling rough and ended up in second group, yet not panicking as with a bit of demon descending, soon it was all back together.

Final finishing lap done. Only real drama was a funny uphill crash. Basically was so windy a Vendee U and UC Nantes rider came to a near stop and toppled majestically into one another. A very slo mo crash and both guys were back up and riding pretty quickly. Probably slightly embarrassed though.

Coming into the first of the finishing circuits and race blew to pieces. Riders going off the back, front, all over the place in fact. I could tell I wasnt the only one who was suffering with end of season fatigue.

Soon groups had gone off the front and I was left in the peloton of 100 or so riders. Lap after lap I suffered, downhill, uphill, flat, didnt seem to matter... I was a feeling it.

Few laps to go and eating and drinking constantly. Our group was now down to 15 of us as riders got dropped, climbed off or had attacked! Break was miles in front now yet I was keen to finish, whatever place.

The climb was becoming the biggest challenge, as being so steep it was a feet just to get up and over it. The crowds though were huge, and gave me loads of support as I dug deep. Best way to describe climb was it was very similar to Michael Gate in the British Lincoln GP, just maybe a bit longer.




Last lap and barely getting up the 12 % climb I rolled in 44th...out of 49 finishers! Yes nothing to shout about. A real savage race. Made worse by the fact my body is pretty much finished for the season!

Back to the team van. Best Hennebont finish was 15th and Sam doing a great ride for 29th. 

Changed, meal ate and back in the van for long drive home. Lots of thinking to do over next few days. Dont enjoy making up the numbers in these races. Yet with my body feeling the way it is, that's all I seem to be able to do. 

In theory 6 more races this season. I'm motivated for them, but maybe 6 to far. A bit of thinking to do!





No comments:

Post a Comment