Monday 6 June 2011

Saint-Jean Villenard; wet, attacking, hilly racing

I write after one of the wettest races Ive done in a very long time.

To be fair there hasnt been much to compare it with due to the fact I havent seen a drop of rain for absolutely weeks!

So the race...It all began by being picked up by Tony Mills at just gone 1pm. We had an hours drive to the race, which was in a town called Saint-Jean Villenard, just the otherside of Josselin. Off we drove and within 20 minutes the heavens opened up and the rain began.

After getting slightly lost on the way (thankfully Garmin came to the rescue!) we arrived with 45 mins to go. Parked up in a field I went to sign on. Now it was really raining as I set off for a 20 minute warm up round the course.

Todays race was a 5km circuit, with some big main roads, a 1km or so gradual climb and a short 200 metre kick up to the finish. It looked great for some attacking racing. Lined up for the 3:30pm roll out we had 18 laps to do, a short race again!

On the start line and I spotted some familiar jerseys in the shape of Pendragon and Team UK Youth, two British teams. Introducing myself I found it was James Mcaughlin from Pendragon and Chris Seviour from Team UK Youth. Also present was my team mate Rene, After a good chat, I nearly forgot about the start as we were waved away! 73 starters.

With a fast descent, a few twisty sections and very wet roads it was important to stay near the front and out of trouble.

After a lap and the legs were feeling pretty good. Following an attack over the climb I was soon away in a break. Around 8 of us which was soon joined by my team mate Rene and James Mcaughlin. Yet although working well together it wasnt to be as the bunch brought us back.



This was the pattern of the race from then on in as although with the relentless rain and rolling circuit the bunch werent happy to let anything get more than 20 or so seconds up the road.

This was until around half way in a crash occurred at the top of the hill, a nasty one at that, bringing 3 or so riders down and putting a couple in hospital. I had been riding well for the first hour yet the cold and wet was starting to effect me. I generally dont cope to well in it and thus was sitting a bit further back in the bunch in around 20th spot. Due to the crash a split occurred and soon a dozen or so riders had got a gap, leaving me to far back and thus missing the split.

Soon this dozen or so riders had pulled out a slender 20-30 seconds, race over?

It would have seemed so. Yet 3 laps to go and with the peleton chasing hard we got back to it. Now very cold and legs feeling rather stiff due to the rain it was a case of trying to slot into the right break with the least amount of effort!

Soon a couple of riders had got away and were dangling 20 or so seconds off the front of the bunch. 2 laps to go and they were still there, a lap to go and after a big dig by Rene it was all back together. 5km left the bunch down to 40 or so riders it was all to play for!




Over the finish line for the final lap and I put in an attack yet it was short lived, Last climb and with 2km to go. I hadnt been climbing well all race and to far back I watched as riders lost wheels letting a 6 rider group slip off the front. The peleton were hot on the heels and with 200 metres to go were back upto the break.

Sprint and with very wet roads and a very excitable peleton, I chickened out..

Over the line and to find James Mcaughlin had won! Awesome ride. After getting in the 6 rider split in the final couple of km he had won the bunch kick as well! He was clearly the strongest on the day and a worthy winner.

For me it was a bit of an average day, feeling strong until cold weather set in, getting in nearly all the right moves, just wasnt a circuit for attacks and a breakaway it would seem.

The only riders going anywhere were off the back as 40 finishers from 73 starters, rain throughout and an attacking race meant it was a tough afternoon.


Very keen to improve on my 3rd place from Friday and with a more attacking circuit, slightly better conditions and a bit of luck I hope this will be possibly sooner rather than later!






















No comments:

Post a Comment