Monday 13 June 2011

a mixed couple of days

So after what Ive dubbed as the most dangerous race Ive probably ever done, at Trinite Sur Mer, on Friday evening, and with a 10th place and some primes in it, I was keen to improve on it in the next two upcoming races.

Saturday, as usual after a semi nocturne, I ended up getting near to no sleep, luckily no race Saturday. After such a wet race Friday night my legs were feeling a bit worse for wear so just headed out for an easy hour and abit in the sun.

Sunday, and after a massive 12hrs of sleep! I awoke to the sound of rain. Lovely. With todays race at Plouay, a mere 20 mins away and a 5:15pm start I had a very wet day to kill. Bit of reading, bike cleaning and generally lounging about. Now I wont even go as far as elaborating to much on this race as it was not very good to put it bluntly!

Made split, got ridiculously cold and wet and legs decided to stop working after an hour and a half and I was dropped! Literally had no choice but to pull out, dont abandon many races and usually hate it, but was so cold, even with racing in a rain cape I was freezing! Another race the day after, warm up, get some food in me and give it another go!

Monday, awoke again to more rain. At least I wont get homesick with all this British weather! I really struggle to stay warm in these conditions so was quite dejected already and it was only 9am! Today race was in Kerstran, a town near Auray.


Today going alone to race so went off again to pick up the team car. Riding to the team garage and although only a few miles ended up absolutely soaked! So car picked up and bike washed again (must be a record in last few days for bike washing!) A good lunch and off at 1:30pm for the half an hour drive to the race.

Of course driving a French car and a big one at that, kept me on my toes! Arriving at the town I signed on and got everything ready for what looked to be another wet and hard race. For today, myself and team mate Pascal for the team. After recently coming back after a mid season break, he told me he was feeling fresh and strong.

Raining hard I did 20 minute warm up as per usual. Legs were feeling pretty naff, maybe slightly better than the day before. It was a bit warmer as well which probably helped.

Race was 17 laps of a 6km circuit, a couple of drags, and lots of wind. Not much to it really. Still with a small field there was gonna be nowhere to hide today.

3:30pm and we were away. Feeling rough I decided to hide and just follow wheels. That soon went out of the window as after a few kilometres a break of 5 soon got off the front and built a 20 or so second lead. My team mate Pascal and another rider attacked and were in the middle between the break and the bunch. Sensing this was a serious move I waited and attacked in probably the most stupid place.. On a wet descent, mainly because I thought no one would be stupid enough to follow sure enough I was right and soon got across to Pascal and the other rider.


Unfortunately the next few kilometres were extremely painful as Pascal turned on the gas and we hacked across to the break. Bunch out of sight, 8 of us away, this looked good!

Working well together we drove hard and soon had 50 seconds, then a minute, with primes every other lap I made sure I was in a good position to basically not get dropped after them! Legs werent great but were OK and I kept gears easy as the rain and wind battered us. We were a workman like group and after a few more laps had 2 minutes on the bunch.

I'm no sprinter and with 2nd and 3rd places for primes I made sure I was on right wheel to pick them up, even won one, although think mainly due to other riders not realising it was a prime!


2 laps to go and was starting to struggle with the cold. Last prime and a VCP Lorient rider got it and kept his head down and soon had a gap. With 12km to go this was a dangerous move. Feeling pretty rubbish I explained to Pascal I'd work for him and he agreed. Unfortunately this meant it was down to me to close the gap! Head down I hacked and with help of fellow breakaway companions pulled the Lorient rider back.

But this was just the start of the fun as riders began attacking left right and centre. Knowing Pascal had a good sprint and the finish suited him I turned myself inside out to bring the moves back. It seemed to be working but with 1 lap to go I cracked!

Out the back of the break I was a few bike lengths off and in the red. Watching I saw attacks go and be reeled in again. This helped me and I just managed to get back on. Sensing it was now or never I sat on front of break and gave it everything with 3km to go to stop and more attacks. Yet it wasnt to be as (the eventual winner) attacked and gained a healthly 10 second gap. 500 metres to go and I'd pulled him back to a mere 200 metres on the final drag. I couldnt quite close gap and legs went. I was done.

Hoping it was enough, the sprint opened up, it wasnt enough as the escapee narrowly held the gap to the line with Pascal dying in final metres for 5th. I limped across the line 7th absolutely knackered from my last 12km of chasing attacks!

So not a good result for us. I did all I could but legs were just not there, too much wet and cold conditions for me! Still alot better than the day before and another top 10 and some money from primes. Considering how bad I felt the day before I dont think I could have done much more!

Now for a good rest before last couple of races before next weeks mid season break!

No comments:

Post a Comment