Saturday 11 June 2011

The most dangerous race Ive ever ridden!

I write after what can only be described as the most nerve racking race of my life!

It all began yesterday afternoon. Usually able to get a lift to a race this time I couldnt. This is no problem over here as it meant a quick trip to the team's garage where there are 2 team cars to use!


So meeting Sebastien at the garage he showed me how to open the various doors to the building and then left me to my own devices with a Skoda Octavia estate, left hand drive!


This was my first experience of driving a left hand drive car and it didnt begin well! After the first 50 metres driving along with the hand brake on, I got into the swing of things and soon was ok (although it took me another good hour to work out where reverse was!)

So all set for the evenings semi nocturne in the sea side town of La Trinite Sur Mer, a 45 min drive from me. Setting off and straight into the Hennebont rush hour traffic. After finally getting out of Hennebont I was on the motorway and away. Arriving at the town with an hour before the race.

Sunny skies and a strong coastal wind greeted me. The town, on a hill was a typical French sea side one, with a port, lots of restaurants and just a pleasant place to be. I was not here for all that rest and relaxation though..I was here to race!

Signed on and after a 20 min warm up, around 60-70 riders lined up for 50 laps of a 1.5km circuit. Now this circuit was quite possibly the most technical and dangerous circuit I'd ever seen.

A 500 metre or so climb with a cross/headwind every lap, A drag round the finish, 4 speed humps, cobble sections, loads of white road markings, loads of 90 degree corners and a very twisty and dangerous descent, all in 1.5km!

Setting off and I was right on the front. The organisers, realising it was a dangerous circuit kept the first lap neutralised. Second lap and the pace was on. One line, and I knew this was going to be a case of stay out near the front out of trouble. Within 3 laps the bunch had exploded. Out of the bottom corner I was struggling to sprint out of it and kept losing the wheel. This meant I was playing catch up on the climb...not a good idea!


After 20 mins at full gas. A split occured. I'd missed it, yet a split behind me had occured also. Around a dozen riders in the front split including my team mates Rene and John-Phillippe. Then there was myself and 2 others chasing. After 45 mins the gap was pegged at 15 seconds. Then the worst case scenario happened...it rained!

Not just any rain, torrential! With such a dodgy circuit, in the dry, you can imagine the carnage that followed in the wet.


The French are not known for their cornering ability and this was evident in the dry. In the wet however they were absolutely terrible. I'm not known for my technical ability, but I was gapping them with ease through the corners and within a few laps I'd got myself across to the front group.


Now around 15 of us out in front. Down the descent and my arms were beginning to ache after hitting the same speed bumps close to 50 times! The rain was not stopping and it was an ice rink as a rider crashed in front of me. Avoiding it I made sure I was at the front of the group on the descent  from then on!


Just over half way through and an attack went. I was cold. Very cold and although feeling strong I didnt have the jump to respond. Luckily my team mate John-Phillippe did and he and 3 others surged away. Soon they had built up a gap and due to the savage conditions our group was beginning to split, with Rene and a few others losing contact. Last 2 laps, and with the break established, I attacked hard on the climb. Struggling all evening on the climb I kept the pace over the top and dug deep. Yet it wasnt to be and was pulled back.


Then I did something very stupid. Last lap, we were going for 5th place. I attacked down the tricky descent. Getting a gap. Yet the flat 200 metres along the sea front meant they pegged me back and with 500 metres to go I was on the front of the group leading out the sprint...stupid mistake.

Head down, unsurprisingly the sprint opened up and riders sped past. I kept riding hard though and over took one or two on the line, thus finishing 10th. John Phillippe had done a great ride narrowly being beaten for the win, finishing 2nd.

I was much stronger than my 10th place finish but with a team mate in the break was a bit limited what I could do. Still with Rene finishing 15th, that was 3 in the top 15 and I even bagged a few early primes...so some pocket money!

To put into context how hard this race was there was a mere 20 finishers

So another semi nocturne done. Enjoying them now, although not enjoying getting back at 10:45pm and the lack of sleep after!



Really keen to improve on my 3rd place last week, I want that win and with a little bit of luck and bit more calculating hopefully it will come soon.

Next stop Plouay tomorrow...another wet one I think!

2 comments:

  1. Nice result Dan, I'm sure I speak for for many silent readers here saying I really enjoy your commentary and hope you continue to fly the flag for us.

    PS You could spice things up a bit with a French girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers glad you enjoy it, nice to get some feedback as well! and yes will work on the French girlfriend idea!

    ReplyDelete