Friday 24 June 2011

mid season review...

It's that time of the year, the sun is out (well it should be!), The Tour's just weeks away and for many it's the time of the season for a bit of reflection and a bit of a mid season break.

That's exactly what I've been doing this week! After generally getting more and more tired after the last couple of weeks it was a sure sign I needed to take my mid season break. Both mentally and physically it's a good time to unwind and do some "normal" everyday activities that don't include riding your bike.

So 28 races done with 2 stage races and being pretty full on since February, other than a rest, it's the perfect time now to reflect on the highs and lows of the first half of the season and also to look forward to the second.


So rather than go through every race methodically (I have the time, just don't think anyone would be to interested reading it!) I am bullet pointing each month with a few highs/lows and something I learnt.

So sit back and watch me take the first part of the season to pieces...


FEBRUARY

HIGHS

arrived in France!

Got first top 10 in first race out here

finished my first Elite National race, Route Bretonne

LOWS

rained for basically the whole month!

came out of the month with an injury with my thigh

 I LEARNT

racing here is gonna be full on!


MARCH


HIGHS

Took part and finished in, what so far has been my favourite and biggest race of the year, Manche Atlantique.

Made crucial split in first local race


LOWS

Suffered with injury for much of this month on and off, so missed Baud Moreac, a big Elite race.

Punctured in La Fleche de Locmine, 15 mins in, no support car, no wheel, pretty much summed up the month!


I LEARNT


Training had to be changed to race over here, train like The French, less miles, more intensity


APRIL

HIGHS 


First top 20 in tough 1/2/3 race in Plougoumelen.

Top 15 in ridiculously hilly race at Ploerdut

LOWS

Got a kicking at Circuit d'armorique, when Katusha feeder team decided to turn up

Lots of racing finishing in bunch kicks, bit limited with my rubbish sprint!

I LEARNT


Need to work on that V02 effort and more sprint training needed


MAY

HIGHS


Took part and rode strongly in my first stage race, Tour des Mauges, loved every minute of it!

Started to feel strong and getting into some form. Biggest month of racing here so far

LOWS


Big mechanical incident at Pleucadeuc, wheel, chain, rear mech, hanger destroyed... an expensive month!

Felt awesome at Tro Div Ster stage race, unfortunately big teams controlled it meaning every stage ended in a bunch sprint

I LEARNT


With two stage races and racing so much in a month recovery is key in between


JUNE

HIGHS


First podium out here in St Jaques en Sarzeau race

Best month of racing for me so far, got 3rd,7th,10th,13th places in some tough races and was at last at the sharp end of races!

LOWS

Suffered in the cold and wet conditions at Plouay and Priziac races.

Felt pretty tired by end of month!

I LEARNT


The pattern of the races, it's taken a while but hopefully now have the magical formula!


So there you have it, 4 and a bit months squashed into a few bite size pieces. In summary I'm quite happy with how it's gone. Would have liked March and April to have been better but with settling into a new country, language and a completely different style of racing it was always going to be tough. June by far has been my best month and hopefully the second half of the season will follow on from that.

Lots more racing, lots more training, lots more blogging and hopefully lots of good results to come.

Before then time to relax and enjoy the last few days of my mid season break!

No comments:

Post a Comment