Saturday 20 August 2011

Ronde Finistere Briec de l'Odet..hot...humid and surprisingly hilly!

Bonsoir, yes it is evening...and yes I did race this afternoon.

Today was a new one for me in that it was a series race I hadnt done before. The Ronde Finistere series. Being a Morbihan boy its a bit like going from Essex to Surrey to race...different roads, different riders, yet was pretty sure the same high standard of racing.


So awoke and headed to get the team car. Normal pre race jobs done the weather was already heating up. As practically all racing is in the afternoon here this is something I still struggle to get used too and today would mean we would be racing in the heat, of what was going to be a very hot day!

So off to pick Sam Allen up, a mere 5 min drive away and then away for the 50 min drive west. The sun was out, we were slowly cooking as we drove along, all was well!

So arriving for the race at the town of Briec de l' Odet. We were pretty early so sat around for a bit and tried to find some shade! Soon though we went and signed on, got bikes ready and headed off for a warm up.

The circuit then...3.6km a long climb/drag to the finish, a sharp kick round the back, a decent, couple more climbs and fast run back to finish. Surprisingly hilly and as we lined up for the 3:15pm depart we knew it was gonna be a tough one.



So rider wise. Lots of BIC2000, VCP Lorient, Vendee U, Sojasun, Hennebont, Cotes D'amor, UC Briochine, AC Lanester, basically lots of very good riders! 80 or so starters and we had 30 laps of the course.

So away we went, with the temperature 30 degrees and summer finally arriving for racing. Straight away and an attack went. I was straight onto it, as the yellow series leaders jersey was present and I knew its best to tackle these races from the front.



Yet after a lap we were caught. Next few laps and the peloton was already starting to fragment as riders were dropped on the hilly circuit. I was feeling ok, but not enjoying the stop start style of racing. Another few laps and I was making sure I was drinking and eating well in the heat. Yet as the only UCL Hennebont rider I had no one to hand up bottles so was attempting this on just two, and with the heat as it was this was to be a challenge!



So another few laps and breaks went and came back due to the rolling nature of the circuit. Soon though after an hour of racing, a serious looking move went on the climb to the finish. I knew I had to go so went to bridge but legs were numb and I couldnt make it. What I couldnt make ended up being the winning split. Not good.



So back in the bunch and the bunch was not looking to interested in chasing what was basically a massive split of 40 riders up the road! Surprisingly the yellow jersey was still in the bunch. An hour and a half done and I knew the race was going away from me. I put a bit of a dig in on the finishing climb and soon was away in a group of 4.



The next few laps can only be described as painful! As the Briochine rider in my group decided he'd go full gas everytime he went through as we attempted to chase, what now was multiple groups up the road. Yet it was working, as lap after lap we caught and passed groups.



Was pretty shocked even when we passed and dropped Anthony Vignes, BIC2000 rider and Bretonne Champion. Yet soon I was realising a lot of guys had gone too hard early on and with such a hard circuit were now just blowing up.



So my small chase group were slowly mopping up the front markers. I was feeling better, if slightly in need of a bottle!



So last lap and the four of us had caught and passed probably 20 riders. Up to the line and I rolled across it second in my group. Yet although we were riding well as a group we hadn't done enough...still loads up the road and I finished a pretty poor 20th place.




Few minutes later and Sam and the remains of the bunch came in. Could only have been 35-40 or so finishers from 80 or so starters, in what was a really hard circuit.

So what to take away from this...


positives:

1, Felt relatively good as race went on
2, climbing better
3,had a good workout chasing for an hour and a half!
4, a top 20 with a quality field cant be sniffed at

negatives:

1, was in right place, right time, yet couldnt react to winning move..that explosive effort just isnt there at the moment.

2, only 2 bottles for 110km in 30 degree heat...not ideal

So not great race. A lot to work on and know if I could just get in the move I'm pretty sure I'd be ok...it's just that 30-1min effort to get into it!

No point dwelling to much on it at moment though as another chance tomorrow in Challenge Roi Morvan in Meslan, clubs promoting it so hopefully will be able to put in a good ride. Will keep you posted!





No comments:

Post a Comment