Sunday 7 August 2011

Challenge du Roi Morvan at Clegeurec: stupid British Mentality

Challenge du Roi Morvan...always does what it says on the tin...challenges.


As you may have gathered from the previous few posts racing hasn't been going to well at the moment. Why? I'm not entirely sure. After a kicking at Lorient on Friday night I was not prepared for the same scenario for today's race.

After what was a terrible nights sleep  (a very annoying mosquito doing laps of my bedroom!) I awoke a bit bleary eyed. Luckily I opened the shutters to find bright sunny skies, think I would have returned to bed if it was anything else!

Breakfast, bike cleaned, kit packed, then lunch and off in team car to the race. Garmin on I was under it's guidance. Normally this works out fine but today it decided to take me the more scenic route to the race! This meant country lanes for an hour, great!

Still arriving with an hour to go in the town of Clegeurec, near to Pontivy. A strong coffee before to try and wake me from my slumber and signed on, kitted up and ready for the 3pm depart.

Not doing my usual ride in the morning I headed off for a prolonged 30 min warm up round the 5.4km circuit. The wind was howling and the circuit was hard. A few kilometres false flat, a twisty farm track descent and a bit of a climb to the finish. At least it was dry!

Lined up on the start line. About 50 riders for this one. Some good riders as well including AC Lanester, Sojasun and VCP Lorient. For UCL Hennebont it was myself, Laurent and the two Phillips. Watching was an assortment of UCL supporters, family, friends and team manager. A real UCL outing it would seem.

So 3pm and away we went. Literally as soon as foot clipped into pedal and the rain began. Not just any rain, proper full on hacking rain! So lined out, pouring with rain, wind howling and we hadnt yet done one of the 16 laps!

Soon after a mere couple of laps the race was in pieces. It seemed like there was 3 options, attack, get dropped or get off! Lots of riders seemed fall into the last two categories!

Soon there weren't many of us left and I was really suffering in the cold rain. Trying to keep warm I spun a ridiculous gear and kept eating and drinking. Soon though the race had exploded. Riders everywhere. I was in a group of 8 or so with 2 riders at the head of the race, a group of 13 just behind them, then my group and to be honest no idea what was happening behind that.

My legs were actually pretty good, just my body was going into shut down. Could hardly change gear. Wasn't so bad on the drag but on the descent was terrible. Trying to concentrate, stay upright and hold onto some form of warmth.

Soon after another few laps my group was down to 5. Some riders dropped, others just, sensibly, calling it a day. After stopping on Friday I was in no mood to do the same again.

Continuing lap after lap and soon there was just myself and pink jersey rider (leader of series for something?) 4 laps to go. Although ridiculously cold my legs were feeling ok, my companion wasn't! Last lap and I dropped him. 

Final lap and in no mans land alone, I rode in to finish 16th. Surprisingly though handing my number in I was awarded an envelope with 10 euros in it!? Sympathy prize possibly!


Stupid British mentality, probably sums it up though, as riders stopped I forged on. This mentality of needing to finish isnt very European, as my team mates pointed out afterwards! Also with a big race to do on Tuesday, getting cold and wet today for a lowly 16th place wasn't really a good idea, lesson learnt.

So still hunting form, plenty more races to do it luckily. Now to rest up before Concarneau Nocturne on Tuesday and hope legs, head and weather plays ball!




No comments:

Post a Comment