Wednesday 10 August 2011

Grand Prix des Filets Bleu: Concarneau

Tuesday evening's, usually spent in front of TV, maybe out at the cinema or catching up with friends. Not for the racing cyclist in France! Evenings over here usually mean one thing...nocturne racing!

Rather than mull over the previous couple of races I will basically say they haven't gone to well.

After a stern talking to myself and asking myself what would Jens Voigt do, I decided to stop feeling sorry for my bad form and do something about it!

Tuesday morning then and out for the usual spin in the morning to open the legs before the evening's racing. Sun out, wind howling I headed off for my usual loop. Only difference today was I really had the bit between my teeth. Legs were feeling stiff yet I was in no mood to take it easy. A relatively hard hour of sprints to wake both myself and my legs up, felt much better afterwards.

So normal prep and then away at 6pm for the 40 min drive to Concarneau, Finistere way. Well when I say 40 mins that's if you don't get lost. Probably the simplest race to get to. Literally onto motorway come off at Concarneau. What did I do? Miss the turn off. Typical

So off at the next one and finally direction Concarneau. With many of my races the towns are completely new to me yet this was a bit different having stayed here on holiday with my parents when I was younger. Still that didn't seem to help much, as again I got lost trying to find my way to the start! So finally arriving, a bit fired up, with 45 mins to go before the start.

No idea why I struggled to find the start as it was slap bang in the middle of the town, by the port with massive crowds, hoardings and a big banner and podium! Still signed on I headed off for a warm up.  Warming up I was able to have a look round the town as well. Beautiful town with lots of restaurants, a market and a port, perfect for a relaxing summer evening!

The circuit then. 2.2km. Long finishing straight with tailwind, dead turn (Blackpool Tour series like) Block headwind back straight, flowing right hander, another fast left, a drag then a very very dodgy downhill left, with loads of road furniture to lead back onto the finishing straight.

Technical, fast and very reminiscent of a criterium circuit in the UK. Main difference here, as I lined up for the 8pm depart, was there was an 80 rider field and we had 40 laps of the circuit!

On the start line, normal suspects. Leceumie Espoir, VCP Lorient, Cotes D'Armor, Hennebont Cyclisme, AC Lanester and the winner from The Lorient Nocturne on Friday night, and his team mate.

Just myself from UCL Hennebont. So away we went. I was a bit far back (30th wheel) and knew this was not the place to be as the circuit gave little room for moving up. So abit of kamikaze riding was the name of the game for the first lap. Up the inside of the corner, over a kerb and coming into the second lap I was sitting top dozen or so riders.



The pace was electric, with a strong field and a great atmosphere everyone was up for the race. The bunch was in one long line and this is pretty much how it stayed for the next couple of hours. Moves going off the front only to be brought back. I was now sitting around 20 riders back. Yet my worst nightmare was always only a few minutes away...a dead turn!

Maybe because I'm relatively light or maybe just the fact I literally have zero fast twitch muscle fibres, either way I was struggling out of the corner every lap. I tried everything, on hoods, drops, spinning, big gear, at front of bunch, leaving a gap, sprinting early, the lot! Nothing seemed to work that well! So wasting a lot of energy out of the corner and having to do it 40 times started to become frustrating!



Anyway soon a break was up the road of half a dozen. Due to being pretty worried over last few races of 1 finishing and 2, being good at the end of the race. I for some reason became very negative in the race. Legs were pretty good yet I was not going with moves, afraid I would blow up later. Stupid I know and not the way I usually race.

So anyway the break went out to 30 seconds. Yet the bunch still had lots of the top riders in it. An hour done and the bunch was a lot lot smaller! Probably halved. The pace was still on and I was feeling good.



Soon though tiredness in the bunch started to show as a big crash occurred on the fast left hander onto the finishing straight. I avoided it yet it made the next few laps pretty interesting as we scooted round the mess!

10 or so laps to go and another group had just eased off the front. I again was to worried about getting to the end rather than actually being proactive (not the aim of the game I know!). They were literally dangling though and bridgeable for a good few laps. Also by this time the sun had started to set, plummeting Concarneau into darkness. Last 20km was to be a real nocturne!



So last couple of laps and the bunch were flying. Last lap and the bunch caught some of the second group on the road just as we hit the line. Zelinski, taking the bunch sprint for 12th. Myself, 20-30thish.

So no result as such. Why? Well a few  reasons...

1. Not proactive, too worried about blowing up, not the way I normally race, maybe a bit more confidence needed.

2. The circuit was basically a sprinters one. I would have had to been on a good day for a result here.

3. couldn't get out of the bloody dead turn, even after 40 attempts!

So although no result, I thoroughly enjoyed the racing, fast, furious and finishing gone 10pm! Crowds were massive and Concarneau a lovely town. What more can you ask for on a Tuesday nights race.

So back at 11:30pm, a nice peanut butter and banana sandwich and off to sleep. Bit of a break in racing before Seglien race Sunday. Before that though a bit of time to recover, a couple of rides and a trip or two to the week long Interceltic Festival at Lorient!



No comments:

Post a Comment