Sunday 24 July 2011

Les Forges..one extreme to another

One extreme to another in more ways than one.

So after the race yesterday, which to be honest was a bit uneventful, I was ready to get stuck in to the race today.

Awoke and opened my shutters. Now shutters are great for keeping the light out but on days like today they also provide a bit of a shock when opened! Rain!

After such a nice day weatherwise the day before it was looking grim today. So breakfast eaten I pondered whether to do my usual pre race morning spin, with some sprints. After mulling it over and deciding if it was good to get wet before the race, I decided to go for it!

A brief 30 min window without rain, so did a half an hour with some 10 second sprints to open the legs and get yesterday's race out of them as well.

So lunched and ready for the off. As like yesterday I was to drive the team car. Alone for another journey it would seem and with no radio in the car it can be a lonely drive!

The race today was in a place called Les Forges. Luckily I have the use of my Garmin 705, which although is a bike computer doubles up as a sat nav for the car as well. I literally dont know what I would have done without it this year (used a map possibly!)

This race was in French terms a bit of a drive at 45 mins away. Most of it on the motorway so pretty easy driving. Although with rain and dark skies on the way it was looking like a soaking was in store.

Arriving and parked up right near the podium. A party atmosphere was in full swing with a barbecue, beer tent, music and even a bouncy castle!

Signed on. A pretty small field for this one yet some quality with 3 Sojasun under 23 riders being the favourites. For the team it was myself, Rene and Phil.

Kitted up and 20 minutes before the 3:30pm start, I headed off for a warm up. The circuit was a relatively small one at 3.7ish kilometres to be done 27 times. The circuit was also, on paper at least, not to challenging with a drag to the finish a drag round the back and some farm tracks. Quite flat and very Belgium kermesse-like.

So lined up and away we went. Although overcast it was now dry and very humid. First few laps I made sure I followed the wheels and the correct ones. I sat near the Sojasun guys and made sure I stayed off the front. A few moves went and came back as the bunch were keen to keep it together, for now at least!

A few more laps and Rene launched an attack. A good one at that and was soon away with a Quimper rider. They were dangling off the front and were finally joined by one other rider to make 3 away. Soon they'd built up a minute or so's lead. Sojasun were still in the bunch and I was in for a free ride.



Sojasun chased and the only real action was the bunch thinning out lap after lap as primes, the pretty dead roads and speed started to take its toll. I sat in a used the team mate up the road card.

Another few laps and a Sojasun rider attacked across to the break, now 4 away. You would have thought that was game over. Yet the remaining two Sojasun riders seemed happy to keep the chase on! Why when they had a rider up the road I do not know!

Even though I was sitting in I was really starting to struggle on the drag as the pace was stop start all the way up it.

Soon the bunch was a mere 20 or so riders. The gap to the break was 15-30 seconds and it stayed that way for lap after lap. The only major change after a few laps was me giving  myself a shock by grounding my pedal round one of the down hill right handers, one way to keep myself and the following riders on their toes!

4 laps to go and the bunch had exploded. Around 10 of us now in a group. I was feeling it, especially on the drag. Fed up with the change of pace I decided to take it on instead and went into hack mode up it. Surprisingly by the top I had a gap. 4 laps to go though surely a bit far. I put my head down all the same yet the rest of the group were soon onto me.

Final couple of laps and Phil, who was in my group was dropped. The break was also in pieces with two of the original 4 coming back to our group. A lap later and we caught Rene. A couple of riders, the break, were now dangling off the front. Now was the time to go with just over a lap to go. Yet I was empty.

Last lap and survived the final drag. 1km or so to go I gave it one last dig. Going for 3rd I gave it a go, but legs were gone. A few hundred metres to go and I was dropped. I literally crawled over the line. Knackered is an understatement. You wouldn't believe it another 15th! At least I'm consistent.

Rene finished just ahead in 12th and Phil 18th.

Sojasun royally mucked it up coming 2nd, 4th and 5th!


So why the blowing up with a lap to go? Two things I think, one didnt drink enough (schoolboy mistake) and two its the final week of what has been 4 pretty full on weeks of racing and training. Easy week next week on the cards.

So a pretty dodgy drive home followed. Luckily my lovely landlady had made rice and a big piece of fresh fish for me so at least dinner was covered! Compression tights on and early to bed. Last race of the block tomorrow...Berne.

Meant to be really hilly, just hope legs are better than today. Then a week of recovery rides and hopefully good weather for some sun bathing!

No comments:

Post a Comment