Friday 15 July 2011

Full on at Mauron


Hello and greetings from a very summery Hennebont!


Finally some good July weather has arrived. Good as its coincided with my parents visit this week! So after Locoal Mendon race last Sunday I knew I had a few areas to work on. Namely getting a bit of grunt back in my legs.

After a nice night spent at the gite with my parents I headed out on Monday morning for 100km of hills and sun! I have been needing this, as although it was only 3 and a bit hours it was the first time Ive done this length of ride for a while, due to lots of racing and recovery rides. I am one of these people who likes a good hack in training as well so riding alone in the hills around Melrand for 3hrs is perfect training for me!

Tuesday and a day off. A full on day spent with my parents. Showing them Hennebont, Port Louis for lunch, Pont Scorff and finally dinner at a nice pizzeria at Lochrist. Really nice to see them.

Wednesday and back on it. A 2 and a bit hour steady ride alone. Sun, hot weather...love it!

Thursday and a half an hour morning spin to pick up the team car for the afternoons race.


Mauron

With a lot of my races recently they have been semi nocturnes. Meaning late night and little sleep. Luckily being Bastille day today meant everyone was off work and the race was to start at 3:30pm in the afternoon, a much more sensible time!

Picking Sam Allen up at 1pm we had a bit of a drive to Mauron, near Rennes. 1hour, so in UK terms a short drive! Arriving and signed on and had a quick look at circuit as the support race was on. It was already really hot and with little in the way of shade it was gonna be a "tanning race".

Off for a couple of laps warm up. 2km circuit. A drag up to the finish, a couple of tight right handers, a descent and that was basically it! Not very imaginative or picturesque. Very Belgium kermesse like and very windy!

3:30pm and lined up. 50ish riders. Some big names as well. Maxime Daniel, Saur Sojasun, his team mate, lots of VCP Lorient riders, including the Pole Zelinski, Hennebont Cyclisme, UC Briochine, UC Cholet, AC Lanester and US St Herblain as well as Lionel Beret of Lucemie Espoir, to name just a few. A tough field. 




UCL Hennebont had myself, Gurvan, Rene and Pascal present for the 50 laps of kermesse fun! I was a bit worried as it couldn't have suited me any less! Sprinting and a short circuit...a race I needed to use my head for, more than ever!

Away we went and after a lap steady the race was on. 3 Brits here as well, myself, Sam Allen and James Mclaughlin. I was sitting top 15 and knew I had to follow the wheels and do as little as possible. I am no sprinter so saving as much energy for the sprints out of the corners is crucial. I followed the wheels and watched as groups went off the front only to come back into the fold. 






The weather was a major factor as well as with such heat I did a 750ml bottle in 45 mins! Making sure I ate and drank well I continued to hide and watch as riders started to suffer. 




Coming up to the half way point and favourite Maxime Daniel, attacked. Myself and a few others followed for what was to be a very painful two kilometres of through and off! Yet back into the bunch it seemed.




Just over an hour in and a break of half a dozen or so went. I was ready to show my hand and although missing the break I got in the crucial chase group. Crucial as the front group had a lot of the lesser riders with all the big names in my group. Around 15 of us. The race for the peloton was over.

I was the only UCL rider here, and with lots of Lanester and VCP Lorient riders I hid as much as possible.






Yet the group wasnt working well together and took a long time to bridge up to the front group. 14 laps to go and we were there. I was in the lead group and it was all to play for. Riders were struggling yet I was feeling stronger and stronger.





10 laps to go and a move went. I hesitated and unfortunately that was it. I missed it! Still after a bit more attacking I found myself in a newly formed chase group. 4 laps to go and the front group had 6 riders, including Mclaughlin, I was in next group of 6, then the remains of chase group and finally the bunch, now in pieces!





We were lapping groups and working well together. A lap to go and going for 7th. 1km to go I had to try something. I chose the flat windy back section and moved to the other side of the road and did my best Cancellara impression! It worked and soon had a 5-10 second gap. Could I hold it to the line though!?




400 metres to go and the big wide finishing straight. I was 100%, head down, 2 riders 100 metres in front, and the group I was previously in breathing down my neck. 200 metres to go and the line just wasnt coming fast enough. 150 metres and the sprint opened up behind. Led by Florian Hervo, an amazing sprinter. I was swamped. 11th place.


So close to line as well. Couldn't have done any more. 


So 11th on paper doesn't sound very good yet I am relatively happy. Mainly due to how I rode. I saved tonnes of energy, nearly got it all right and came away beating some good riders, including the Sojasun duo! On a course so flat and sprint like I had taken my chance and gone with a kilometre to go... hadn't worked this time but surely will some time. 





Team manager happy and team mates saying how well I rode is nice as well. As for the other Brits, James did an awesome ride for 3rd behind winner Zelinski and Sam was in a group a few behind me. 

A hot, hard race but really enjoyed it...next stop GP Leclerc Hennebont on Sunday. 3km from home and in previous years a hotly contested race...can't wait!

here's top 15 and a link to yesterdays race: 

No comments:

Post a Comment