Sunday 3 July 2011

If Carslberg did road race circuits....

I am on a high! Did I win...no, but I got bloody close and had probably one of the most enjoyable races for a long time.

I am writing after what has been one of the hottest races of the year so far.


So after a frustrating race on Friday and little sleep that night, Saturday was an easy ride and chill out day. With such warm temperatures, I lounged about in the garden.

Sunday

A much better nights sleep I awoke to another beautiful morning of weather. Kitted up I headed out for my usual mornings spin to open the legs for the afternoon's race. I find a few sprints in the morning really helps wake me and my legs up.

Back and lunched and car packed I headed off to the race at Bubry. Just 20km or so away. Perfect a nice local affair.

I was pretty excited as most races recently have been by the coast, thus relatively flat. Bubry is one of my training loops and I knew it was in the middle of a tonne of hills...perfect!

Arriving and it was boiling. A fete was in full swing with funfairs,candy floss and crepes on offer, a real party atmosphere. Watching the finish of the kids race and a bunch sprint for the win didn't inspire me with confidence that it was a hilly circuit.

Luckily I was proved wrong. Pascal, my team mate, took me off for a warm up round the 8km loop.

The circuit was made up with a 2km climb, with a headwind, an undulating back part and a bit of a descent, savage, but hilly and hot, usually a good combination for me.

So 4pm and lined up. Series leader was called up and then every rider was called forward individually! This meant we didnt get going till 4:15pm. Good job it was warm, as standing on the startline for 15 mins isnt ideal!

A small field again, yet some quality Briochine fielding a strong team as were Scaer and even a Saur Sojasun rider. We had myself, Pascal and Laurent present for the team. Soon we were off. I was keen to hide as much as possible and save as much energy as I could whilst hopefully getting in the moves.

This also meant I saved my legs, climbing in the little ring. Big ring was for later!

I was told by Pascal to watch Maxime Cam, a Briochine rider, who has won numerous races this year and is always up there. I basically therefore marked him out!



We had 8 laps to do and after a lap the attacks started flying. Now usually on a climb I get carried away and use tonnes of energy. Today was different. I followed the wheels and soon after another 3 laps a split had occurred. 15 or so of us.

The group included myself, Pascal, Maxime Cam, one of his team mates, Lorient rider and Saur Sojasun, to name a few.

We soon started working well together and the bunch were soon out of sight...race on!



Well not for some of my fellow breakaway companions. Literally in the space of 2 corners and 5 mins, 2 crashes! Just one rider each time. The French and cornering is something to behold!

Luckily I was ahead of both crashes.


Half way through and the heat was on. With 30 euro primes and baking temperatures the break was starting to show cracks. I was feeling good. I seem to always go well in the heat and used the climb to recover each lap.

Thankfully a helper from the team was on hand to pass up bottles as the temperatures soared to 26 degrees.



2 laps to go. We were in a good position. Myself and Pascal both feeling good. Group of 13 riders. I knew we needed to whittle the group down so put it in the big ring and attacked hard up the climb. Cam was straight onto it though. Not yet it would seem.

Last lap and I wanted the win! I attacked half way up the climb, Cam onto me again. Another attack, another rider onto me, 3 or 4 attacks later and I was getting frustrated. I felt strong just couldnt break the strangle hold of the break. We did manage to drop 3 riders though. Last kilometre and last chance.


I attacked really hard, giving it 110% and got a small gap. Yet the break were keen on a sprint and with 600metres to go I was caught. Spent.

As sprint opened up I was dropped. Pascal though being a sprinter managed a great 2nd place getting pipped just on the line by the Sojasun rider. I rolled across the line a little later in 10th.

So a "nearly" race. Brilliant circuit, great weather, good legs, used head but wasn't to be! Still looking good for upcoming races and happy for Pascal with a well deserved 2nd place. Another top 10 for me.


Next time though be nice to get that win...can't be far off now!

No comments:

Post a Comment