Thursday 7 April 2011

Summer has arrived en Pont Augan!

Suncream at the ready...summer has definately arrived over here in France.


It was getting quite warm at the race in Colpo on Sunday and then it really turned up a notch. So have I been making the most of this weather...of course, would be rude not too!


Monday:

For some reason over here I seem to sleep really badly the night after a race. Whether it be adrenaline still in me, too much coffee or the fact the races are in the afternoon and I end up eating late. Whatever it is I always wake up Monday morning half asleep! Still an hour easy spin and otherwise a day of getting jobs done, namely the weekly dreaded food shop.

Tuesday:

I am trying to target areas I feel I need to work on in races and tailor specific sessions around these. So the main area I have been struggling with is spinning that big gear, so leg speed really.

Also to work on my, ever very so slightly, improving sprint! So heading out I did half an hour steady and then began my sprints. I do 20 sec sort of jumps on a flat section of road. With 3 mins easy spinning in between. I'm looking for that initial jump and then to spin that gear. Managed 10 of these today. With a strong crosswind they were tough but then again they're not meant to be easy!

Next another hour steady and headed to meet Nick and Tony Mills who were to motor pace me. Riding back to the road where I did my sprints. I find this a perfect stretch of road to do both sessions on. This is mainly due to no corners, very smooth surface and pretty much flat 7km of road.


So off we went and the guys got the car upto 35mph to start with to see how it felt. With such a strong crosswind I knew the car wasn't going to give as much protection as normal. Soon glued to the bumper I was happy to notch it up a bit and soon we were doing 40-45mph with ease. I was working on spinning that gear and getting nice and aero behind the car.

After 45 mins of up and down the stretch of road we had topped out at 48mph and it was safe to say I was pretty cream crackered. Thanking the guys I turned and began ride back. Seeing Sam Allen riding towards me I tagged along and spent the last half an hour chatting and spinning down after a very hard and intense 3 hours  training.


Wednesday:

After Tuesday's antics I was slightly on the tired side. Still the last days training before easing off for the weekend's races. A morning of lounging about and then off to meet the team ride. Out I went and planned my usual hour/hour and a half before meeting them.


I started the ride with the climb upto Bubry and literally straight away the arm warmers came off. It was gonna be a warm one! A good hour and a half loop and I reached Languidic to meet the team. Already having drank a litre I filled up and got out on the ride. There were six of us all in an array of clothing choices! From shorts/shortsleeves to one even in a long sleeve!


Riding along and everyone wasmarvelling at the great weather. Seeing a sign saying it was 27 degrees only confirmed how unseasonal it was.

Now I usually like the heat but due to running out of places to put discarded kit I was stuck with my leg warmers on and thus feeling it! Hot that is and very lethargic! 4 hours, 125km done and 2 litres of drink down I was back home feeling half asleep and ready for food and some sleep. Whether it was getting overheated or the session on Tuesday (or a bit of both) I was feeling very sleepy! Either way a day off tomorrow needed!


Thursday:

Up early...not ideal on a rest day.. but needed to get bike to bike shop in Plouay (thanks Tony for the lift) after headset and chain decided they'd had enough! Great service from the guys in there and bike was soon fixed. Had a  quick Coffee with Tony before heading back.  An hours power nap and a lazy afternoon on the cards!



So what's in store this weekend?

Well firstly an Elite National race, The Circuit d'Armorique over the other side of Brest on Saturday. A circuit like race, rare for such a big race but at over 140km and with all the big teams present its gonna be a good one I hope!

Sunday, second round of The Trophee Job Morvan Series in Moreac (a mere 20km away). A more low key race 100km, another circuit and if the last 2 months are anything to go by another fast race!


So a packed weekend and I cant wait! Now to rest up and enjoy the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment