Tuesday 26 April 2011

Progression at Ploerdut

Round 2!

So after not the best of races the day before at La Ronde du Porhoet. I was ready to give it another go and make ammends at Ploerdut. Two very similar place names yet these races couldn't have been more different!


After travelling with my team mates the day before to and from the race, today, it was Tony who took me. Another very warm and windy day as we drove the 40 mins or so to the race. Arriving in Ploerdut with just over an hour to go in what can only be described as a picture postcard French town.

It was a  hub of activity though as aswell as our race there was also the start and finish of the final stage of The Trophee Centre Morbihan, a major junior stage race featuring none other than the World Junior Champion.


Kitted up it was time to find sign on. Not as easy as you would think! Headed first to the start/finish line and podium, where I was directed to the town hall. Arriving at the town hall I realised they thought I wanted to sign on for the junior race. How the facial hair and deep voice didnt give it away I do not know! Still after a few more enquiries I found the sign on, got my number and got out for a warm up.


Unlike the day before this race was on a circuit. This has it's positives as it means usually you can do a few laps as a warm up and see what's instore. What was instore was a 4.7 km lap with lots of very narrow farm track roads, gravel and about a  2km climb each lap!

Asking my team mate earlier in the week if anyone else in the team was doing this race he laughed and said "no, trop difficile!" I now knew what he meant.

So as the sole UCL Hennebont rider it was a case of use the other teams to my advantage. 2:10pm, ten minutes late. Another pretty small field of 50-60 riders, we rolled off for 18 laps of this gruelling circuit.

Going off like a crit we were soon lined out. Knowing there was twisting and narrow lanes I was sitting in the top 10 or so riders as to stay out of trouble.


Onto the climb for the first time and it all kicked off. Literally it seemed like everyone was attacking! I was not.

With a strong head crosswind up the climb it was all in the left hand gutter. I was not feeling great but legs felt better than the day before at least. A very fast start is never my forte and I followed the wheels as riders were already cracking on the climb and being dropped...after 2km of racing!

Seeing riders attack and then blow up spectacularly half way up the climb I realised this was going to be a wearing down process. Again engaging the little ring I tried to keep legs as fresh as possible and stay off the front. Soon after a few laps of constant attacks a group of eight or so had prised themselves off the front.


Something I've never been to good on is that last 5%. What I mean by this is I am happy to ride along at 40km/h all day but I sometimes struggle with that extra last effort, the sort of effort needed to close that last bike length. Yes something to work on but unfortunately now was not the time or place! So when an attack did go on the climb I just couldn't react and soon a group of 8 or so riders had got a gap, only a small one but still a gap.


After a few laps though what was left of the bunch, due to the climb, headwind up the finish and general savagery of the course, had imploded.

I was in the second group on the road of about 15 of us. The break was still in sight and on the climb was often within touching distance. Seeing riders suffering I did as least work as possible, just tapping through. We were though catching dropped riders from the break. It was fair to say after just an hour of racing there were bodies everywhere!


Surprisingly I was feeling better lap by lap. Four laps to go and with our chase group also splintering I sensed now was a good opportunity to attack. Attacking quite far out  I hoped a rider or two would come across to share the work. Unfortunately this wasn't the case. After half a lap I was caught. Sitting back in, too early maybe.

Three laps to go and unfortunately by now the break was out of sight. Onto the climb and a handful of riders attacked, hard. I couldnt react, not due to feeling especially tired more the acceleration just doesnt seem to be there at the moment.

Two and a bit laps to go and third group on the road there was six of us. Up the climb I planned a last lap dig to try and get away. No need as taking my turn on the front I glanced back to see I'd ridden all but one of them off the wheel. By the top and the other rider was dropped and I was alone. A very windy 9.5km lay infront of me.


Head down, although going like a diesel it would seem, I was feeling better and better and soon was closing in on the next group on the road but could not close the gap. Alone, I rode in to finish 15th.


Although not a long race, it was definately a hard one. A real "use your head sort of race" and other than not getting in the break, I did actually (rare for me) use my head. Saving myself for the last part of the race. Was one of those days where I wish it was longer as was only getting going by the end! Still thats racing and with longer races coming up I can show what Ive got in the last portions of those races.

So finished. Tony treated me to a cider. Having not drank alcohol since winter and also feeling the effects of two hard days racing, it was safe to say it went to my head a bit! Back to The Mills's for a wonderful dinner and chat afterwards made for a great end to the day!

Big thanks to Tony and the family.



A good two days of racing. Seeing a bit of progression, although need to be getting in that winning break! What have I learnt...


positives


1. I am saving energy like never before and thus feel strong into the latter part of these races.

2. I recovered well, felt better on the second day.

3. I had some good race miles in the legs and am starting to work out who to watch in these local races.

Negatives

1. That V02/ last bit of top end. It really is lacking and something I will have to work on in training.

2. Feeling pretty rubbish at the start of the races, turbo or a better warm up needed.

3. climbing, something I sometimes overlook, needs work on. I am fine going one pace up a climb need to work on that change of pace.


So two races, two good tanning sessions. Top 15 and lots learnt again.


Three races coming up this weekend. Saturday a big 1/2/3 race part of The Trophee Daniel le Breton series, Sunday, a local race and Monday another big, kermesse like race 1/2/3 race. So a few good opportunities.

So now all to do is rest up and make sure I start Saturday as fresh as possible. Let the progression continue and hopefully the results will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment