Saturday 16 April 2011

the bigger picture...

After ending last week feeling a bit strange and definately a bit tired. I was all prepared for my easy week.

Speaking to my team manager and team mate the consensus was less training is needed to race over here. They say around 12 hours and that includes racing. This is a bit of a vague number but one thing the first couple of months has taught me is to look at the bigger picture and what is needed to race over here.

Yes, it is nice to do well in every race but honestly if you don't have an amazing sprint or your not a David Chopin (local talent riding for Hennebont Cyclisme) you have to look at the bigger picture. In my case that's looking at races that suit me and prepare for them as well as I can. The races that don't suit me as much, well they are still opportunities for results but are also valuable for working on weaknesses.


So having a week taking it easier I have come to the conclusion I need to keep intensity and mix it in with recovery rides and making sure I'm fresh and ready for the next race.

So rather than plodding along for 4 hours plus I will split the 4hr session into maybe a few sprints, through and off with the team or some motor pacing.

Also another important point is letting recovery take its course after a race. I mean checking resting HR and adjusting training sessions accordingly. If im not fully recovered on the Tuesday another recovery ride would be more beneficial than say forcing the body to do a sprint session.

All simple things I know and all things that should come second nature, but sometimes with the desire to do well the bigger picture is lost and you get into a circle of training to try and race better yet infact just end up turning up to races tired.

So training evaluated I was in for a slow week! Slow, as other than a few recovery rides, that included crawling up the hills and spinning along admiring the amazing scenery, I had a lot of spare time on my hands!

Not wanting to sit infront of a screen all day I decided to get out and experience Pont Augan! That meant sitting by the river (ended up having a nap!) and chilling out in the bar as well as visiting the Mills' down the road.


Luckily I also managed to get a much needed haircut from Tony Mills, 2 months worth of hair removed!


So Saturday and the day before my race in Bignan tomorrow. En Ligne, meaning a big loop, with a finishing circuit, which is said to be quite lumpy! A relatively local race again but sure to be hard.


Rested up and feeling nice and fresh I cant wait to give it a go and hopefully show what a rested  and fully fresh Englishman can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment