Monday 7 March 2011

Manche Atlantique: Fast and furious

Just when you think it couldn’t get any faster!

So as the races have progressed, the difficulty and size of the races has to, From an Interclub on that weekend in February to a 1/2/3 race and Elite National last weekend to today’s Elite National and one of the biggest amateur races in Brittany.

So where was I and how did my biggest race over here so far pan out?

Well it all began at 10am this morning, when for the first time I met with my team manager, helper and team mates in a Carrefour carpark, on the outskirts of Baud, to travel together to The Manche Atlantique race.

Starting in the picturesque town of Jugon Les Lacs, about an hour and a half away we were away. Packed into the team car a very interesting journey began! Interesting, due to myself being the only English speaker in the vehicle. Good practise for my French at least but before long I decided to save my energy for the race!


Arriving and the town was awash with team cars, vans and even The National Army Teams’ camouflage bus, some real money on show and some big teams present with Vendee U, Saur Sojasun Under23, BIC2000, Roubaix Lille Metropole and UC Nantes all fronting teams.

First stop, sign on and I could use my new French licence for the 1st time. I was number 192, a clear indication of just how many riders were in the race. 200 riders in fact, the biggest field I’ve raced in for a very long time.

Pinned up, kitted up, a warm up done the next stop was a team presentation. Basically each team called up for photos, and in the case of today…video!

Now to business. A 1:30pm start and we were away, 200 riders, 160km ahead, with a point to point and then 6 laps of a finishing circuit in Plumelec. The finishing circuit had been described as “one to save something for!” It included a climb previously used as a finish in a number of Tour de France’s, most recent victor being Valverde on it a few seasons a go. Only difference was from memory the Tour only had to go up it once!


Anyway before all that there was over 100km of racing. Heading out and the flag dropped the race was well and truly on. After last weekend feeling rather passive I wanted to really get stuck in.

Easier said than done!

Getting to the front of a 200-rider bunch is one thing and when its moving at between 50-70km/h to get off the front is another thing entirely!

The peloton was motoring and on the rare occasion I did look down my speedo it seemed it was glued to 50km/h. Even with such speed a group managed to get off the front and pulled out a gap. In the bunch survival was the name of the game as we were in the gutter and riders were already beginning to be shelled and we hadn’t even done an hour of racing.




Soon, after a long drag, the peloton had been whittled down and there was about 150 riders left with the first hour and half of racing averaging over 45km/h, with a climb! With the break of around 7 still ahead, the bunch was still all lined out in the gutter. Eating continuously and drinking I wanted to make sure I had the best chance for the concluding part of the race.


Next up was the finishing circuit and turning under a banner I saw the famous climb ahead. Lined all the way up were crowds, motor homes, barriers a full finishing gantry, the lot! Could have been the Tour!

 First time up it and I felt good and did it in the big ring. Soon the sheer difficulty off the circuit showed itself as the bunch split across the top. A long fast descent and soon we were up it again. The bunch although smaller this time was still around 100 riders.

 Positioning has never been my strong point but climbing usually is something I can do ok at. This is a problem… as too far back I was getting stuck behind riders going backwards and having to weave round them, something had to be done.

Third finishing lap and feeling good I decided to give it a go and attack. Coming into a very windy back section of the lap I jumped and soon was away…by myself!

Head down, I glanced back to see the bunch disappearing into the distance. Onto the third time up the 1km or so climb I was alone and getting the cheers from the crowds all to myself! Was like a mountain pass with crowds either side…awesome!

Cresting the top I looked back to see a group bridging. Sitting up I waited and soon around 8 of us were away from the bunch and moving well. Army National riders, UC Nantes, Saur Sojasun, AC Lanester and Hennebont Cyclisme all present, I was in good company. We were motoring as well and just as we approached the climb for the next ascent we caught a chase group.

Then disaster struck as as soon as we bridged the pain in my leg (see previous blog entry) reappeared, shooting along the outside of the lower quad. Soon, in quite some pain, I was detached from the chase group and was slipping back, unable to put full power through my right leg. Angry and thinking I had sorted it the previous week I wasn’t ready to call it quits. Soon another group caught me and within the final couple of laps this split, reformed until around 10 of us were heading to the finish. Up the climb for the final time and pain in leg was not easing. I finished midway down the group.

A couple of minutes later what was left of the bunch (around 60 riders) came across the line.  200 starters, a combination of wind, the sheer speed and a savage finishing circuit probably left 120 finishers.


No result for me, disappointing but another good learning experience and maybe without the pain in leg it may have been better.

So what can I take away from the race?

 Positives: Fuelled myself well, tried to use as little energy as possible until it mattered, was able to put in a bit of a dig, enjoyed every moment of probably one of the biggest races I’ve ever done.

Negatives: positioning still an issue, when hammer really go’s down in flat am struggling with speed (motorpacing needed) and injury…seeing physio tonight


All in all what an experience. Not result I wanted but loved every minute of it and can’t wait to do better fully fit. It’s a long season and I hope to show better in coming weeks…watch this space.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you are doing well Dan, if you had of stayed in that group what place would you of been going for?

    Oh and keep the blog posts up mate they are a really good read, and good luck in your next race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Joe

    not sure about well, in deep end at the moment, biggest races of season all in march! so its tough but im finishing and getting better each race, not sure to be honest probably 20-30th position i would have been going for.

    cheers mate, hope ur season goes well

    ReplyDelete