Monday 14 February 2011

bienvenue!

Welcome to my first of many blogs, giving an insight into a British rider's experiences of training, racing and hopefully winning and succeeding in one of the holy grails of cycling, France!

I will try to keep this blog as upto date as possible and hopefully some one will find it of interest! (if not I won't take it personally)


Well, better get started... a bit of background info....

My name's Daniel Kogan, friends call me Kong, and I am a 22 year old cyclist from East London, (just outside the hood, some say).

My cycling journey started in Epping Forest on a heap of a mountain bike and over the years I have raced all over the country in some really good races (and lots not so good) and against some great riders. I have been a member of the Lee Valley Youth CC, Ciclos uno, Glendene Junior Squad, BMC UK RT and Orbea FGS and over that time have raced everything from National Buckley Series races, Belgium Kermesses and Premier Calendar events to the Tour Series.

Yet although progressing and getting stronger I am often my own worse enemy in races and training.  All this into consideration I can say I haven't delivered my full potential...Let's hope that's changed for 2011!

2011 really started for me in 2010. Yes, strange I know but I think this is a common trend in cycling and teams as arrangements for the following season happen well in advance.

Having, over the last couple of seasons, raced a few times in France, I had been bitten by the French racing bug! Yet until this year I hadnt done anything about it. This winter there had to be a change, as 2011 is to be my final year as an under 23/Espoir rider and so really a big mile stone.


With that in mind I got about researching how to get over and race in France. Harder than you would imagine. I did the usual of speaking to Brits already out there and a couple of teams but was getting no definitve answers of the best way to get out and race.

Then I came across The John Ibbotson Fund.; a fund set up in John's memory to aid young riders achieve their potential abroad.

Speaking to Russell Clarke, a friend of John's and one of the key members of the fund, I was given lots of advice and help to get my dream of racing in France off the ground. Lots of emails and phone calls later and being introduced to Tony Mills, ex pro, living in France, and his sons, I was told a team had been found. Undoubtedly without the Mills', Russell's and The Ibbotson Funds help this would have just been a pipe dream so I am incredibly grateful for all the time and work they put into making this possible.

Through the Ibbotson Fund I was also able to partake in a heart screening through the charity CRY, a charity set up to raise awareness of condition that can lead to young sudden cardiac death. This was an invaluable examination and I thoroughly recommend it to all young cyclists. With a clean bill of health and no heart abnormalities I have the peace of mind that I can push myself to my full capabilities.


So with the team and health  check done it just leaves the training. After a few winters of training I have begun to find what works well and what not so well. Yet with me it's often the case of reigning things in a little! This is where my ex team mate Andy Lyons, former GB rider and Essex axe on a bike, comes in. After a few seasons seeing me race and often not achieving the results I had the potential to get I teamed up with Andy for some training advice and guidance.

This meant a slower start and a more gradual build up to winter than in previous years. After spending the last couple of the months of 2010 MTBing and riding on feel I felt fresh and ready to start training proper, starting by upping the miles in January and a training week with my good mates Andrew and Niels in Majorca.

Coming out of this block of training feeling strong, the last few weeks I've been adding intensity and hopefully complimenting strength with some speed! Also through The Ibbotson Fund I was put in touch with Garmin Cervelo Pro Dan Lloyd, a long supporter and ex team mate of John, who has given me some great advice on training and adding more intensity.

So that leaves me now, sitting on my laptop typing away in a house on the outskirts of Baud, South Brittany. The season is a mere 6 days away for me, as this time on Sunday I will have my first race of 2011, for French team UCL Hennebont, under my belt. Excited...yes, apprehensive...yes, motivated...you bet!

2011 starts here and hopefully over the next 7-8 months you will follow me on my journey through the inevitable hard times and hopefully the many good times along the way.


thanks again to The John Ibbotson Fund, Tony Mills and family, Dan Lloyd and my very patient parents!

until next time check out
http://www.johnibbotsonfund.com/
http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment