Monday 30 May 2011

dur times

After last weekend's mishap, where I ended the race with my bike in basically pieces, I luckily (with the help of my team mate and the local bike shop) got the bike back up and running within a couple of days.

To be pretty blunt the season so far hasnt been good for me. The standard of racing here is incredibly good and no race has gone by without being lined out in the gutter. To be honest I havent managed to adapt to this well and after the first month or so out here the type of racing now is completely different.

Where as in February and March the races were longer and more controlled, now the majority of races are kermesse like, on small circuits, still very fast and just lots of attacking and lasting normally 100km or so.


Realising it's not quite happening at the moment for me, my team mate (winner of over 40 races, so a lot of experience) got me working on my power in the week. This meant a good 3hr plus ride with big gear efforts up the 1-3km climbs. Safe to say it was a hard session. We have also been working on sprints and especially that initial jump.


So after a couple of hard days I lined up for The Trophee Daniel Le Breton series race in Ploemel. A mere half an hour drive away for me.


Arriving with my team mate Sebastien and Sam Allen (both not racing due to injuries) I signed on at the podium and began a warm up. Being a 3.2km circuit this meant I was able to get a good few laps in. Feeling a bit tired the days leading up to the race I was surprised I felt ok as I rode round and did a few efforts to open up.

The circuit was a wearing one. Consisting of a short climb upto the finish, a very fast section and a quite nasty, if short, drag round the back. Oh yes and also two nasty dead corners to sprint out of!


So 3:30pm and lined up. Just over 70 riders. AC Lanester, VCP Lorient, Hennebont Cyclisme and BIC 2000 riders were all present. A good quality field as ever. For UCL Hennebont we had myself, Gurvan, Pascal and Rene. What lay ahead was 31 laps, some primes and an invevitable fast start.


Knowing the roads were narrow, there was a lot of corners and the sheer speed I made sure, as we were waved away, I was sitting in the top 10-15 riders. Feeling surprisingly good, within a few hundred metres attacks started to fly.



Following wheels I was in a good place, and although not comfortable, I was ok. After a lap (just shy over 30mph average) gaps were opening. Breaks were going and then being reeled in. Onto the drag round the back of the circuit and an attack went. I was sitting a dozen or so riders back and jumped to follow. I couldnt quite get on terms though and was dangling a handful of bike lengths behind. As the drag eased out I was joined by an ASPTT Rennes rider. But it was to late. Turning onto the main road and the break of 10 or so riders were dangling but with just myself and one other rider and a fast, windy and open road it was to little to late. The break were soon gone. I'd missed it.


The rest of the race was pretty disheartening to be honest. In the bunch and feeling strong, knowing I should and did have the legs to be in the break just annoyed I didnt have the legs at the time to follow the attack.

One lap to go and the peleton was a mere 15 or so riders as the pace and parcours took there toll. Onto the drag for the last time and with a lot of riders up the road in a number of groups were werent racing for much. Still its a race and I wanted to finish with an effort. Half way up the drag and a rider attacked, I jumped and got on and we were soon joined by a couple of other riders. 1km to go and into the finish and the last turn onto the finishing line.


After grounding my pedal on this corner earlier in the race, I was cautious and not willing to take risks for a 25th-30th place. Easing back I was 4th man and thats the way it finished after coming across the line.

A disappointing race, a very nearly good one, just plain and simply didnt have the legs and the right time to close that gap to the break.

In better news Rene finished 12th and Pascal 18th. Myself 30thish and Gurvan in what was left of the peleton.

Getting a bit tired of writing about getting a kicking so will leave you with my plan for avoiding this in the future!


Plan from now is to basically train like a crit rider. Short sharp efforts, little recovery and high cadences. I am determined to crack these races and do well out here...just gonna keep plugging away, train, rest well and what will be will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment